Space heater cause of St. Albert blaze | Action.News ABC Action News Santa Barbara Calgary WestNet-HD Weather Traffic

Home WestNet.ca WebMail

              

Updated: 14th November 2019 05:15 Edmonton

Space heater cause of St. Albert blaze

An electric space heater in a garage started the fire that destroyed a St. Albert home Wednesday.

Social Sharing

The fire, which started in the garage and spread to the roof, was caused by a space heater, according to the St. Albert fire department. (CBC News)

An electric space heater was the cause of a house fire that destroyed a St. Albert home on Boxing Day, causing over $750,000 worth of damage.

"As with any electrical appliance they are always subject to failure," said Les Mroz with St. Alberta Fire Services.

The fire started in the garage of the Dorchester Drive home just before 9 p.m. Wednesday.

Flames soon spread to the roof and inside the house.

Two people were inside the home at the time, but both were able to get out safely.

Mroz said electric heaters are a serious fire hazard this time of year.

"The big thing is to make sure it is [Canadian Safety Association] approved. Coming from a reputable company, following the manufacturer's instructors and not placing those heaters close to combustible materials," he said.

Articled from the CBC RSS Syndication CBC.ca - RSS Feeds Copyright is that of their respective owners (CBC) Calgary News Releases

Copyright 2014 WestNet-HD Action News

Email this story to a Friend!
Your Email :

Friend Email Address :