RCMP shooting suspect granted bail | Action.News ABC Action News Santa Barbara Calgary WestNet-HD Weather Traffic

Home WestNet.ca WebMail


Coronavirus Information: Buy Masks Here
Updated: 28th February 2020 17:10 Edmonton

RCMP shooting suspect granted bail

Sawyer Robison, the man accused in the shooting of two Mounties near Killam, Alta., was granted bail Wednesday night.

Social Sharing

Sawyer Robison is charged with attempted murder in the shootings of two RCMP officers near Killam in February 2:04

Sawyer Robison, the man accused in the shooting of two Mounties near Killam, Alta., was granted bail Wednesday night.

A bail hearing was held at 7 p.m. in Wetaskiwin, his lawyer Brian Beresh said. 

"Our client is very pleased with the judge's full consideration of the case, very pleased to finally see justice has been done and that his liberty has been granted which will allow him now to establish his innocence," he said.

Robison will be released from the Edmonton Remand Centre by 5 p.m. MT Friday on $100,000 bail, Beresh said.

Sawyer Robison outside court in April 2012. (CBC)

The many bail conditions set are complicated and are still being worked out, the lawyer said.

Robison must live at a certain location, though Beresh declined to say where, and he must maintain a daily curfew.

It was Robison's second attempt at bail after being denied release on April 11.

The Crown said it will consider appealing the decision, while the RCMP would only say it respected the presiding judge’s decision and declined further comment.

Faces two attempted murder charges

Robison, 27, is charged with two counts of attempted murder and 15 weapon charges.

The weapon charges relate to three handguns and three rifles — all either restricted or prohibited weapons, four with the serial numbers removed. Robison has pleaded not guilty to all 17 charges.

Constables Sheldon Shah and Sidney Gaudette were shot and wounded on Feb. 7 while they were executing a search warrant for a weapon at the rural home of Robison's uncle, Brad Clark.

Robison fled the scene and went into hiding until his arrest three days later.

Clark was found dead in the house after the shootout.

The two officers were airlifted to hospital with gunshot wounds and released about a week later.

On Thursday, RCMP said both officers are "recovering well."

One of the officers has returned to full duty, while the second is on desk duty and expected to be back on full duty by July 5.

Robison will be back in court for the preliminary trial in October.

Articled from the CBC RSS Syndication CBC.ca - RSS Feeds Copyright is that of their respective owners (CBC) Calgary News Releases

Copyright 2014 WestNet-HD Action News

Email this story to a Friend!
Your Email :

Friend Email Address :