Injuries plague first-ever UFC event in Alberta | Action.News ABC Action News Santa Barbara Calgary WestNet-HD Weather Traffic

Home WestNet.ca WebMail

              

Updated: 8th January 2019 11:53

Injuries plague first-ever UFC event in Alberta

Organizers of the first-ever Ultimate Fighting Championship event in Alberta say the show will go on despite a number of big names dropping out due to injury.

The UFC's Alberta debut is losing its punch because of injuries. 1:45

Organizers of the first-ever Ultimate Fighting Championship event in Alberta say the show will go on despite a number of big names dropping out due to injury.

Seven of the 10 top fighters have been scrapped from the main card for the event on July 21 at the Saddledome in Calgary.

UFC Canada director Tom Wright said despite the changes in the roster, the event will not be rescheduled.

"Unfortunately, it's one of the vagaries of our sport," Wright said. "It just sort of underscores how tough it is these days for our athletes to prepare for these events in mixed martial arts."

Some UFC fans compare the recent injuries to going to a big-budget movie without their favourite stars.

"It's kind of disappointing," said UFC fan Trent House. "I guess it's part of the sport, I don’t know, people getting hurt."

Some fans are now trying to sell their tickets at discounted prices in advance of the event.

Meanwhile, organizers promise they will still put on a show when the event comes to Calgary.

"I'm disappointed, I can tell you everyone in Vegas is disappointed, our fighters are disappointed, but we will do everything we can to put on a great show," Wright said.

A UFC record was set in Toronto last year when 55,000 people attended an event at the Rogers Centre.

Articled from the CBC RSS Syndication CBC.ca - RSS Feeds Copyright is that of their respective owners (CBC) Calgary News Releases

Copyright 2014 WestNet-HD Action News

Email this story to a Friend!
Your Email :

Friend Email Address :