Judge denies bid for acquittal in Calgary grandfather's manslaughter trial | Action.News ABC Action News Santa Barbara Calgary WestNet-HD Weather Traffic

Home WestNet.ca WebMail

              

Updated: 22nd June 2019 18:27Calgary

Judge denies bid for acquittal in Calgary grandfather's manslaughter trial

A judge says the Crown has presented enough evidence for a Calgary grandfather's manslaughter trial to continue.

Social Sharing

Defence had argued if case were being heard before jury there would be risk of wrongful conviction

Allan Perdomo, 59, is charged with manslaughter after his five-year-old grandson Emilio died of multiple blunt-force trauma injuries in 2015. (CBC)

A judge says the Crown has presented enough evidence for a Calgary grandfather's manslaughter trial to continue.

Allan Perdomo Lopez is charged in the death of his five-year-old grandson Emilio Perdomo.

The trial has heard the boy died of a traumatic brain injury in July 2015, five months after he arrived in Canada from Mexico.

Defence lawyer Darren Mahoney asked for a directed verdict to acquit his client, which would have ended the trial before Mahoney's opportunity to submit evidence.

He argued the prosecution's case is too weak to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Perdomo Lopez committed an unlawful act that caused the boy's death.

Queen's Bench Justice Richard Neufeld, who is hearing the case without a jury, ruled the Crown's case was sufficient for him to make a decision and he denied the defence request.

"The absence of direct evidence ... does not mean that a reasonable trier of fact could not infer and find an assault had taken place," Neufeld said Wednesday.

Neufeld said it remains to be seen whether he will ultimately be convinced by the Crown's case and that Perdomo Lopez is still presumed innocent.

Mahoney had argued that if the case were being heard before a jury there would be the risk of a wrongful conviction.

"There's no evidence of anyone observing the actual injury, how it took place, the manner the injury was sustained or if it was a blow, or if it was by a fall ... There's no evidence of how it happened," he said.

"All you've been given is a bunch of possibilities."

Prosecutor Vicki Faulkner argued the accused's recorded admission of guilt constitutes direct evidence. The trial heard a police intercept earlier this week of Perdomo Lopez saying, "I didn't want to kill that child" while he prayed.

A forensic pathologist who did the boy's autopsy testified there was not enough evidence to classify the death as either an accident or a homicide. Other expert testimony for the Crown suggested Emilio was assaulted.

Mahoney said he will consult with his client before deciding whether to present evidence.

Articled from the CBC RSS Syndication CBC.ca - RSS Feeds Copyright is that of their respective owners (CBC) Calgary News Releases

Copyright 2014 WestNet-HD Action News

Email this story to a Friend!
Your Email :

Friend Email Address :